DeGolyer Elementary School is named after Everette Lee DeGolyer (1886-1956) for his outstanding contributions to science, education and community.
He began his career as a geologist in Mexico, where he struck oil at the age of 24. He invested his oil profits in Geophysical Services Incorporated (GSI). GSI developed techniques for oil detection that revolutionized the oil industry. GSI later became Texas Instruments. Mr. DeGolyer also founded Degolyer/ MacNaughton. the leading petroleum consulting firm in the world today, and one or our most valued corporate sponsors. In 1939-1940, Mr. DeGolyer and his wife Nell built the now famous DeGolyer estate which remains a cultural Dallas landmark.
DeGolyer Elementary School first opened in 1959 but closed in 1982 due to a dwindling student population. In the spring of 1994, the DISD Board of Trustees recommended the re-opening of DeGolyer. Thelma Lott Jones was named principal. In the time since the school re-opened, DeGolyer has been the only neighborhood school out of over 200 such schools in the district to consistently achieve either an “exemplary” or a “recognized” rating. We think Mr. DeGolyer would have been proud.